All About Group-I Exam
Tamil Nadu public service commission (TNPSC) is an autonomous body that recruits candidates for various administrative service in our state. Let us discuss about the Group 1 examination conducted by TNPSC.
1. Eligibility Criteria
Education : Any graduate degree (distance education as well) recognised by UGC / AICTE
Age Limit & Number of Attempts
|CATEGORY||ASPIRANT AGE||# ATTEMPTS|
|OC||21 to 30||Unlimited|
2. Stages of the Examination
|STAGE||PAPERS PATTERN||TOTAL MARKS|
|Preliminary Examination (Objective Type)||
• 150 questions from General Studies (Degree standard)
• 50 questions containing aptitude and Internet and Communication Technology (SSLC Standard).
|200 questions *1.5 marks each = 300 Marks.
No Negative marks for wrong answers.
|Main Examination (Descriptive Type)||Descriptive type (The subjects for the Main examination are listed below)||900 Marks – (3 papers Containing 300 papers Each)|
|Interview||Interview testing the personality of the individual.||120 marks|
3. Details of the Examination
|S.No||SUBJECTS||MARKS||DURATION||PAPERS PATTERN||ATTENTION ASPIRANT|
|1||General Studies - Paper I||300
|2 hours||Objective||No negative marks|
• Minimum Qualifying Marks in preliminary examination for candidates belonging to OC category : 120 / 300
|1||Paper I - General Studies||300||3 hours||Descriptive||Minimum 25%|
|2||Paper II - General Studies||300||3 hours||Descriptive||Minimum 25%|
|3||Paper III - General Studies||300||3 hours||Descriptive||Minimum 25%|
|PERSONALITY TEST / INTERVIEW|
|1||Interview||120||15 to 45 minutes||Oral||Compulsory|
- Indian History (Ancient, Medieval and Modern History).
- Physical and Indian Geography
- Indian National Movement
- Indian Constitution, polity and Governance.
- Indian Geography
- Current Affairs of National and International importance.
- Quantitative aptitude.
- Internet and Communication Technology
MAIN EXAM SYLLABUS
GENERAL STUDIES - (Descriptive type -Degree Standard)
General Studies-I (300 Marks/ 3 hours)
a) Modern History of India and Indian culture
b) General Aptitude & Mental Ability Test
c) Role and Impact of Science and Technology in the development of India and Tamil Nadu
b) Tamil Society, its Culture and Heritage/ English Language Skills 3. Administration of Union and States with special reference to Tamil Nadu.
General Studies-III 250 Marks
a) Current events of national and international importance
b) Current Economic Trends: Indian Economy and impact of Global Economy in India.
c) Socio Economic Problems of India/Tamil Nadu.
How to clear TNPSC Group 1 Exams in the first attempt?
Clearing TNPSC group 1 exams in the 1st attempt is not a big task. The following things need to be followed meticulously to clear the group 1 exams
- A complete study of school books from class 6 to class 12 (Preferably NCERT books)
- Collecting and making notes on current affairs of National and International importance from dailies (Preferably from The Hindu)
- An additional learning & care should be given to general science since General science occupies an important position in the exam
- Get a manual which would enable to make a comprehensive revision
- Writing practise is imperative. After reading the subject books, it is necessary to write few glimpses about the topics that has been studied and revised.
- Frequent revision of subjects is indispensable.
- Writing Mock tests is essential for time management.